It was 5 years ago today that we welcomed our first child into our family.
I was trying to find pictures for this post and couldn't find any brand new wrinkly ones. Then it dawned on me as to why. Interesting how you can forget things. Here is a bit of his story.
Joey had a bit of a rough start. He inhaled meconium during his birth. They were prepared for it so they had a respiratory therapist waiting when he was born. We were all dead silent as we watched them work hard to get him breathing. I am not sure how long it was, but it felt like an eternity. I was able to hold him for less than a minute before they took him away. The nurse said it was a good sign that they let me hold him. I didn't feel all that reassured.
Four LONG hours later we finally got to have him forever. It was an amazing and scary time. We had no idea what we were doing and it seems silly now the little things we worried about. I remember calling the nurse in to see if we put his diaper on right. Seriously, did we do that?! At least he won't remember how inexperienced we were. We survived the sleepless nights, the crying, and the diapers all for the love of that little baby.
We were so excited and nervous to see our first born.
Here we are five years later. He is now a very big boy. He has a full vocabulary and loves using it every waking second (hmm...seems familiar). He has an amazing imagination that seems to take him anywhere. He loves riding his bike, shooting his bow, fishing and playing with his friends. He has endless energy. He loves to cuddle and hug just like his mommy. I never have to wonder how much he loves me because he tells me all day, every day. He has such a big heart.
Joey, I love you more than you will ever know. Thank you for making me a mommy.

2 comments:
Happy 5th birthday Joey!! It's amazing to think of how fast time flies.
This is a beautiful post and I love the pictures. (I don't remember him having so much hair. How sweet!) I know somewhat the scary feelings of a newborn having a few breathing difficulties. Even now I look at Riley (or hear him cry)and think back on his first days in the nursery hooked up to oxygen. God had it all under control though. And gave Riley some great lungs, (the sounds produced by those healthy lungs reminds us of that fact.) But I love the memories of becoming a Mommy. It brings a lump to my throat every singe time I think of it. Amazing miracles! Hope you all have a great day with your little man.
When I read your blog it made me cry. You are the best Mom Dana. I love you forever, Mom
Post a Comment